Application of a Passport in India- Everything you need to know!
What is a Passport?
A passport helps inhabitants of a country to travel to another country and, it is issued by the government of that country to its citizens. One of the most important functions of a passport is to enable its bearer to travel across international boundaries.
For every Indian person, a passport is one of the most important documents they can have, because it serves as both an identification document and a travel document for international travel. When travelling overseas, it helps the holder to show that he or she is an Indian citizen, which is required in any foreign country.
What is the Eligible Age for Passport Application in India?
Citizens of India who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to apply for a passport in India. However, in the case of children, the passport’s validity is limited to 5 years or until they reach the age of 18 in their home country. Children between the ages of 15 and 18 can apply for a passport that has a 10-year validity or for a passport that will be valid until they hit adulthood (18 years of age) in their home country.
Documents Required for Passport Application
There are a number of vital documents that must be submitted together with a passport application in India. Here is a list of the most crucial documents that must be submitted in order to obtain a new Indian passport.
- Identification documentation such as an Aadhaar card, Election voter ID card, or any other acceptable photo identification document.
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate or a certificate of graduation from high school, etc.
- Driving licence, PAN card, and Aadhaar card are all acceptable forms of identification.
- A proof of residence, such as an electricity bill, water bill, gas connection, or mobile phone bill, is required.
- Passbook of a bank account
- Agreement for renting a property (if applicable)
The Ministry of External Affairs has recently made the entire passport application process available online for your convenience. As a result, if you want to apply for a new passport, you will have to go via the online application procedure. The procedures to be followed in this regard are outlined below.
How to Apply Online for Passport in India?
- Go to the official Passport Seva website, which is passportindia.gov.in, and fill out the necessary information.
- If you are an existing user, you can log in using your previous user ID and password to continue your session. For first-time users, however, you will need to register and create a new account in order to access the site.
- On the home page, under the ‘New User’ tab, click on the link that says ‘Register Now.’
- After that, input your user ID and password, followed by the captcha code for verification, and then click on the ‘Register’ button.
- At this point, enter into the Passport Seva Online Portal using the login ID that you created.
- After logging in, select a passport type from the drop-down menu and click on the ‘Fresh passport/passport reissue’ button.
- Carefully complete the application form by clicking on the ‘Upload e-form’ link to upload the completed application form.
- To arrange an appointment, go to the ‘View Saved/Submitted Application’ screen and click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option.
- At the end of the process, click on the ‘Make Application Receipt’ link to print a copy of your application receipt. When you receive your receipt, it will contain your application reference number or appointment number, which you must keep safely stored for future reference.
- The Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) will require you to attend them as scheduled, together with all of your original documents, after you have completed the application and payment process, in order to have your passport verified.
It is important to note that while applying for a passport under the new issuance category, you must ensure that you have never before held a passport of the applied category, i.e., a diplomatic passport, an official passport, or an ordinary passport.
Payment Modes Available
Now all applicants are required to make an online payment for reserving appointments at all Passport Seva Kendra/Passport offices. If you choose to make your payment online, you can choose from the following options:
- Using Internet Banking
- Credit/Debit Card (Optional)
The issuance of a passport will take between 7 and 14 working days after the officials have determined that the information provided is accurate.
Visiting a PSK or POPSK Office for Verification
Go to a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or a Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) with the necessary original documents and photocopies, and get your passport processed. It is not necessary to provide a photograph. On the website, you can get a list of the documents that are required.
Applicants who have been ‘refused token’ due to non-availability of needed set of documents despite having scheduled an appointment can reapply to the same Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK).
Some Other Valuable Information
All passport applicants are obliged by law to submit their applications with complete and accurate information, as well as papers that are legitimate and authentic. Applicants who wish to get a passport or travel document must not provide any incorrect information or suppress any material information in accordance with the terms of the Passports Act, 1967, and the Rules promulgated thereunder.
Carrying caustic or explosive substances, weapons, cudgels, sticks, or lathis, or other sharp things that could cause physical harm or violence is strictly forbidden within the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) (POPSK). Bringing electronic gadgets including as laptops, iPads, and cameras into the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) is also prohibited.
Also, you can track your application status, your verification process, and even track your passport from the official Passport Seva website. There you will get a multitude of options which will help you get a Passport quite easily.